In this Betfred review, we are going to give you all the details you need about the bookmaker, from information about its licence to available markets, payment options and bonus offers. This is one of the internationally known sportsbooks, which made it on our positive review list, although it could have gotten a better rating had it not lacked certain features. You will find how it scored and why we did not rate it higher if you continue reading our full review.
- Name: Betfred
- Format of odds: EU, UK, US
- Currencies: GBP, EUR, USD
- Read mobile review
- Visa MasterCard Paypal
Bonus up to:
- Rating: 2.1 /10
- Not Recommended!
|100% in Bet Credits||Up to £100||£5||9.7 /10||Bet NowBet365 Review|
|New Customers only. Up to £100 in Bet Credits. Sign up, deposit £5 or more to your account and bet365 will match your qualifying deposit in Bet Credits when you place qualifying bets to the same value and they are settled. Min odds/bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. T&Cs, time limits & exclusions apply.|
|100%||£30||£0.1||9.3 /10||Join Now888Sport Review|
|100% in Free Bets||£100||£0.1||9.0 /10||Join NowBetfair Review|
|T&C: New customer offer. Place 5 x £10 or more bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100 bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. T&Cs apply.|
|200%||£30||£0.1||8.9 /10||Join NowUnibet Review|
* T&C’s apply. Click on Join Now for details.
Information about the Licence of Betfred
Betfred holds two licences: one by the UK Gambling Commission and one by the Government of Gibraltar. The reason for this is that everything is much easier, and they also want to save themselves the large tax bills. In general, companies which operate outside the UK (i.e. they do not hold a licence by the UKGC) are subject to heavy tax bills. Being regulated by these bodies means that the sportsbook must comply with a number of rules, but most importantly it must:
- Keep minors (people who have not reached the gambling age) from performing any gambling activity on the site.
- Protect customer data, both financial and personal.
- Make sure to provide an unbiased and fair gambling platform.
- Do its best to help people with gambling problems who use the site to gamble.
All this means that the operator is trustworthy and you do not have to worry about your privacy or safety. They have you covered.
Now, let us take a look at the markets covered by Betfred. As a whole, there are many options, but unfortunately, they cannot outdo the ones at sportsbooks like Bet365 and Betvictor. Here are the sports available on Betfred:
Formula one, tennis, football, horse racing, MMA, snooker, rugby union, ice hockey, basketball, boxing, bowls, greyhounds, rugby league, golf, cricket, American football, and darts. What is more, they also offer numerous specials like current affairs and reality television.
It is a big list of sports that can be bet on at Betfred. This is one of the advantages of the sportsbook. There are different types of bets on offer that accompany each and every sport and market, from the more obscure ones (e.g. how many corners there will be in a given football match) to the regular ones (e.g. what the final score will be).
However, there are fewer betting options than you can find at other online bookmakers. Yet, the good news is, you can examine all the markets using your phone or tablet, thanks to the mobile platform of Betfred available to any type of devices, and any operating system. It helps you stay connected even if you are not currently given access to your computer. It is a good way to go if you are always on the go. The mobile version of Betfred is as secure as the site itself, so no worries.
In-play and Live Streaming
In a special section on the site of Betfred, you will find the in-play platform. Placing bets is easy as pie. However, the bad news is no match stats are available, neither scores of the games they feature. Even though they constantly update the odds, you need to go with another bookmaker if you want to know what is going on. A number of companies out there provide their customers with all the information they need regarding a sporting event and are much worth your attention.
All in all, the in-play betting section of Betfred is disappointing. Of course, the sportsbook does have its advantages, so you should not cross it out of your bookmaker list completely. The truth is, you can find some good stuff on the site, as long as in-play betting is not among your interests. However, if it is an important factor, then you should opt for other companies.
Betfred enables its customers to make deposits using a variety of methods. One of the oldest methods is paying by cheque. Along with that, you can use bank wires. Then, you can also use the modern options such as PayPal, Skrill and Neteller, which are electronic wallets. Last but not least, you are free to go with debit and credit cards: Maestro, MasterCard and Visa.
But if none of this works for you, you can also visit any of the Betfred shops and pay by cash. There are no fees. The money hits your account instantly, and you can use this method for both making deposits and withdrawing money.
The limits vary from method to method. The minimum deposit amounts allowed are as follows: Neteller – £5.50, Skrill, Maestro, MasterCard, Visa, PayPal – £5, Betfred shops – £10, cheque – £25, and bank wire – £85. All of the methods are instant, expect for cheques (5-28 days) and bank wires (3-10 days).
One of the important aspects of our review is the promotions page. There are a few bonuses worth your attention.
In the first place, there is a welcome offer. It comes in the form of a free bet worth £30. You get it once you place a £10 bet. It does not matter whether your bet loses or wins. You will be entitled to a free bonus as soon as you place your first bet. To claim the bonus, you need to have an account at Betfred.
Go to the homepage and click on the “Sign up now” button. Make sure to fill out all the details you are asked to and click on the “Register” button. After that, log in with your details. Now that you have joined the site, it is time to make a deposit. You need at least £10 in your account in order to qualify for the promotion. Now, bet the money on any sport or market you want. Odds must be even or bigger. Regardless of the result, your account will be credited with a free bet worth £30 within 24 hours of placing the bet.
Just so you know, every promotion has different terms and conditions. Make sure to visit the site of the bookmaker to learn more about the rules behind this bonus offer.
Greyhounds and Horse Racing
- 5 x The Odds For One Winner: Obtain three times the odds on 15 bets (one winner), four times the odds on 31 bets and five times the odds on 63 bets. This bonus is applicable only to Irish and UK horse racing.
- Money Back 2nd: Betfred features different races every day. If you bet on a horse on one of these races and it ends up second instead of first, the bookmaker will refund your stake with up to £25.
- Best Odds Guaranteed: If you back a horse on any Irish or UK horse racing event and it turns out that your price is smaller than the starting price, then you will be paid at bigger odds.
- Forecast & Tricast Bonuses: This promotion applies only to races which are broadcast live on Racing Post Greyhound and Sky Dogs channels. Your winnings will be increased by 25% if you place a forecast bet and it wins. If you place a Tricast, your winnings will increase by 50%.
- Don’t Lose Your Head: Similarly to the previous promotion, this one only applies to races which are broadcast live on Racing Post greyhound and Sky Dogs channels. Your stake will be refunded with a maximum of £200 if you back a dog but it gets the second place. However, you will only be entitled to the bonus if the dog gets beaten by a head (or less).
- Super Bonus Races: Take advantage of the Super Bonus Races offered on the daily at Betfred. Place a Heinz of Lucky, bet on Canadian or Yankee 63/31/15. You will receive 100/50/15% bonuses if you end up winning.
- Goals Galore: Betfred offers a list of games to its bettors. From it, they have to guess which two teams will score an accumulator. The set odds you will be given are determined by the number selections. In most cases, the price of the odds is much better than that you will find at other sportsbooks.
- Hat-Trick Heaven: if you bet on a first goalscorer and instead the player does a hat-trick, Betfred will triple your winnings.
- Double Delight: This promo resembles the above one. If you back a player as a first goalscorer and he not only does that but also manages to score another goal, your winnings will be doubled. The same offer is available to NFL and Rugby.
- 1-A-Piece: Bet on what the score will be on any of the matches broadcast live on TV. Betfred will refund your stake if the game ends 1-1. The maximum refund amount is £50.
Layout of Betfred
I love Betfred’s front page. It is modest and informative at the same time. There aren’t any spiralling or bright graphics to overwhelm you.
Explanation of the Grade
Our goal is to review bookmakers, so at the end of each review, we come up with a grade that describes the overall performance of each company. We gave Betfred a pretty high score – an 8.3. This means that the site is doing pretty well on most accounts. As we mentioned above, there are a plethora of promotions available for bettors. Also, the bookie is licensed and regulated and has an untarnished reputation. Last but not least, it covers plenty of markets. However, the sportsbook seems to have a few disadvantages too, which is the reason as to why it did not climb its way up to the highest ranking.
First off, even though there are bet options for a number of sports, there are not as many bet options per event as there are with other sportsbooks. In most cases, it features about 50 markets. In comparison, other bookies boast over 100 markets. But that’s not all. The biggest issue is that there is no live streaming service. Bettors cannot see how the event unfolds, nor the stats or the score of a match. This is quite a disappointment. They need to work harder to improve their features if they want to get a higher ranking.